This sandwich starts by blending good mayonnaise with garlic, anchovies, lemon, and a mess of herbs: basil, tarragon, and chives being my favored combination. This gets slathered on some bread (preferably a hearty sourdough) and topped with all the green things: thin slices of cucumber, green zebra tomatoes, avocado, sprouts, and lettuce. For protein and ooey-gooiness we add fresh mozzarella, and for extra pungence, some quickly-pickled spring onions.
I like the briny umami that the anchovies add to the mayonnaise, but feel free to leave them out if you prefer. (You may wish to add more salt, garlic, or lemon if you do.) The mayonnaise keeps well for up to a week, staying vibrant green and marrying the flavors together nicely. I like the onions best when freshly pickled, but they will also keep in the fridge for a week or more. Wrapping the sandwiches in parchment paper prior to cutting them in half helps them to hold together, but feel free to skip this step in favor of deliciously messy sandwiches.
Green Goddess Mayonnaise:
- 1/3 cup packed basil leaves
- 1/3 cup packed tarragon leaves
- 1/3 cup packed chopped chives
- 2 medium-large garlic cloves
- 2 anchovy fillets
- zest and juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup good mayonnaise (such as Spectrum's olive oil mayonnaise)
Pickled spring onions:
- 2 spring onions, bulb thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 2 slices pan bread (I like something with a neutral flavor such as Josie Baker's Wonderbread)
- 1/2 a small, ripe avocado, sliced
- 2 fat slices fresh mozzarella
- 1 medium-sized green zebra tomato (or other heirloom tomato), sliced
- a few thin slices cucumber
- several slices pickled onion
- a handful of sprouts (such as broccoli sprouts), rinsed and dried
- a couple of small lettuce leaves (butter or romaine), rinsed and dried
Make the mayonnaise:
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine all ingredients except for the lemon juice (i.e., the basil, tarragon, chives, garlic, anchovies, lemon zest, salt, and mayonnaise) in the bowl of a food processor.
- Puree smooth, about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Blend in the lemon juice. Chill until needed.
Pickle the onions:
- In a medium-sized jar, combine the onions slices, vinegar, sugar, salt, and peppercorns.
- Put the lid on the jar and let sit for at least 10 minutes, shaking a few times to dissolve the salt and sugar.
- Use immediately or refrigerate until needed, up to 1 week.
Assemble the sandwiches:
- Toast the bread and spread both slices with a thick layer of the mayonnaise.
- Top with the avocado, mozzarella, tomato, cucumber, pickled onion, sprouts, and lettuce.
- Sandwich with the other slice of bread and press down gently.
- Optionally wrap the sandwich in parchment or secure with two toothpicks, and slice in half with a sharp serrated bread knife or chef's knife.