This is the perfect winter salad. Citrus takes you to a place of warmth and sunshine, which is more than welcome in the weather.
- ½ c. slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 leftover chicken breasts (preferably grilled)
- 2 Cara Cara oranges
- 4 handfuls of mixed greens, washed & spun dry
- 3 tbsp. white miso*
- ¼ garlic clove
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. mirin
- 2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. toasted sesame oil
- ¼ cup vegetable or mild olive oil
- 2 tbsp. water
*To make this gluten-free, be sure to look for brown-rice based white miso. Gluten-free brands include Eden Foods & South River Miso.
- Add all of the vinaigrette ingredients to a blender. Process until smooth. If it seems too thick, adjust the consistency with a little water. Set aside.
- In a small pan, toast the slivered almonds over medium low heat. Transfer to a bowl.
- Dice the chicken into bite site pieces.
- To prepare the oranges, you have 2 choices; peel them by hand leaving the white pith intact (which is what I did), or you can slice off the outer skin leaving just the flesh. Then, slice the oranges into rounds.
- To serve, portion the salad onto plates. Top with grilled chicken, orange slices and toasted almonds.
- Drizzle some of the vinaigrette over the salad and serve extra on the side.
* When preparing the oranges, you have 2 choices; you can either peel them by hand leaving the white pith intact (which is what I did), or you can slice off the outer skin leaving just the flesh. I’ve never been good at the latter, as I seem to massacre the entire orange. The choice is up to you!